Sanctuary “Churvish”, 17-18 centuries
It is located in the “Kaler” village , which is part of the Taghavard village, on top of a high conical hill.
It is a small rectangular vaulted chapel with a wide semicircular apse. Entrance from the western facade. It is illuminated by small windows opening from the apse and south facade. The floor is earthen. The apse has a low, poorly preserved stage. The chapel was built of unhewn and rough stones and lime mortar. Taghavard is located in the Martuni region, on the right bank of the Varanda River.
The chapel was damaged during the 2020 Azerbaijani aggression as a result of air bombardment.
The village is surrounded by forests and gardens. In the Middle Ages, the village was located not far from the Berdahonj fortress, where the ruins of the church of the same name, traces of walls, various buildings, and underground passages have been preserved. At the end of the 19th century, Nerkin Taghavard had 170 houses, 1140 inhabitants, while Verin Taghavard had 137 houses, 895 inhabitants. In 2018 there were 329 houses in Taghavard , 1261 inhabitants.
They were mainly engaged in agriculture. Part of the village is occupied by Azerbaijan.